Monday, November 3, 2014

A prison for your mind

Events are all the rage nowadays, even though there are signs that we're living in a crazy overload of them. Still, new events continue to be created, and A Tattered Page is one of them. I confess, when I read what is it about, I loved it.

It sure is not the event for the merchant that rushes into their event items the last five minutes (or worse, the hour after the event started). We have to read a book before thinking what to create for the event. Why? Because whatever we create, not only has to be inspired in the book. We have to provide the exact quote that inspired us. And for that, you need to take your time to... yes, to read the book.

The first round is about to begin (November 7th), and the chosen book is Frankenstein. I never read this book before, and I'm really glad to have been accepted into the event, because it's a book I've enjoyed. Also, the event itself reminds me a lot of the literary workshop I enjoyed so much when I was in high school. I could go on a long ramble about what I've observed as the two main topics of the book: the dangers of playing God, and the despair an unloved child feels, feeling so abandoned and hurt, that said child could turn into a spiteful monster. (Victor's creation hasn't even a name, to add to the injury.)

At the moment of writing this, I've completed my first item, and I'll start making the exclusive one for the event after lunch. In this event, exclusive means that once the event is over, the item will no longer be sold.

Of course, with such a read, I couldn't stop thinking, and it was very difficult to choose one quote, one idea. As much as I'd like to make everything that went into my mind, time constraints keep me straight into being the most realistic possible with what I will be able to do.

My first item, A prison for your mind, is inspired by the quote "But I was doomed to live and in two months found myself as awaking from a dream, in a prison, stretched on a wretched bed, surrounded by jailers, turnkeys, bolts, and all the miserable apparatus of a dungeon."


The worst prisons are those without keys. Prisoners of our own guilty conscience, prisoners of anguish and despair we've created, we sit hoping for the dark feelings to go away. But they don't go. They chase us until either we own up to our actions, or we give a step closer to the darkness and malice that comes with the lack of sympathy. Either we learn or we're a step closer to becoming a real monster.


The idea I have for the exclusive item is inspired by the quote "It is well. I go; but remember, I shall be with you on your wedding-night." Stay tuned to see what it will be, and spread the word about A Tattered Page!

Have a great day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment